Thursday, April 8, 2010

Rome, Old Men, and Other Random Happenings

I still can't believe that I was in Rome Monday night.

It was one of those things where I knew it was happening, but it seemed like it just... wasn't. You know. It was too incredible to be true. The city was BEAUTIFUL. There was so much history in such a small space: that blew me away. I wish I had been able to wander around the city for weeks, taking in all the sites and visiting all the museums. I didn't even scratch the surface, but here's a list of some of the places we went (I am bound to miss some): Trevi Fountain, the Coliseum, the Forum, Castel Sant'Angelo, the Vatican Museums (hence the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's), the Spanish Steps, Piazza Novena, Piazza de Popolo, Trestevere. My life goal is now going back there one day, for longer, and doing so much more. I wish I had had more time to be there! I also wish we had done more on Sunday.

Here's the story on Sunday: we sat through Easter Mass and got soaked. It rained pretty much the entire time. Then we went back to where we were staying to warm up. The sun came out again, and I proposed that we go back into the city and see more. We promptly stayed in for several more hours =\ This wasn't a bad thing, because I still got to see a lot of the big places that I wanted to see, but it was a little annoying because, of course, what was one of the lines someone pulled out later when they wanted to do something and others of us wanted to stop and finally have a meal for the day? "Come on, we're in Rome, let's not waste time!"

... Yeah.

I've found that that's the thing about traveling in big groups, sometimes with people you don't know. Most of the time, you have a blast. But every now and then, you really want to punch someone's lights out. After that gem of a line, I promptly broke away for a bit and did my own thing with people who also weren't thrilled by that attitude, so it all worked out. Rome was still amazing!

I had a really cool day yesterday. I met up with these older gentlemen to interview them for my project, and they were so sweet! They had some really great things to say. I also ran into a guy who not only helped me get to the interview, but helped me find my way back to the city center as well- I was very out of my depth in the part of town I had to go to, and he was really cool about helping me out. It was one of those encounters that was just really nice, you know? The guy didn't have to help me, but he did, and that was cool.

So yeah. Things are winding down over here, and its still hard to believe. I go to Paris in a week, and Amsterdam in two. I'm still waiting to hear about the ND summer job I applied for, as well as about my grant. Then I'll be able to figure out everything in between: I know Meg wants me to stay here longer so the two of us can visit, but I know I'm going to be ready to go home at that point. We'll see what happens.

Also, I feel like I had something else to talk about, but I can't remember what. Oops. Maybe I will remember and actually update this blog in a timely fashion.

... Stop laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment